Marriage License


Private Ceremony vs Civil Union

A civil union is the same legal process as a marriage. It does not mean a "courthouse wedding." If you want to be married, at the courthouse by a judge, you want to apply for a marriage license. You can find more information about civil unions here.

Information about scheduling a courthouse ceremony is here.

Important Reminders
  • Both parties must be 18 years or older. If either party is 16 or 17 years old, they can marry but both birth parents must sign a parental consent form at the County Clerk’s office when applying for the license.
  • You begin the application process online but must pick the license up together, in-person at the Clerk’s Office. Valid ID with proof of age is required by both parties. Acceptable ID is outlined here.
  • Once the license is issued, the marriage must take place within 60 days in Champaign County. Couples must obtain a marriage license at least 24 hours before the wedding is to take place. They cannot obtain the marriage license and marry on the same day. 
  • A marriage license cost $75.
Applying For A License

Step 1 - Complete the online form here.

Step 2 - Complete the in-person requirement of the license. You can schedule a time to come to the Clerk's Office here or by calling (217)384-3720. We do not take walk-ins.

Step 3 - Get married!

Step 4 - Return your marriage license to the Clerk's Office. You don't need an appointment, business hours are Monday-Friday, 8AM-4:30PM. 




Scroll to the Top